Well... without daddy home the kids and I ventured to Maryland for Christmas. Originally the hope was to have daddy home some time around Christmas and when it was clear that wasn't going to happen then we went to plan B. Originally the intent was to meet up with Papa Steve and Grandma Lulu as they flew cross country so there would be extra adults. Well... that didn't work out either as the Tehachapi school didn't get out until really late this year. So off to plan C.
The kids and I flew out of Colorado Springs so that we could have a friend drop us off and help pick us up to collect baggage. I booked a flight that went through the Dallas airport knowing that they had a USO and a playground. This would create to shorter flights and some wiggle time in between for Sierra. Still not sure whether that was the best route or not verses a direct flight... but it worked out.
We started our adventured early in the morning... about 4:30. Got to the airport and all checked in. Then Sierra was randomly selected for security. We spent a good deal of time there getting everyone redressed, bags re-packed (the DVD player, bottles, etc. had to all come out and be screened). The first flight was not too eventful. Then the layover began... Sierra did a great job pulling her own little suitcase around packed with her toys and goodies. We finally made it to the playground.... and then had a complete meltdown over having to leave socks on to play. Ugh... that nearly took up the entire play time.
Oh... and I have break to mention the handmade baby carrier she received for her birthday. She had her new baby doll in the carrier and was walking through the airport like that so she could be like mommy. We passed a group of people and I heard a couple ladies gasp. Then one of them said to the other, "I don't think it's real. Really it can't be real!" Ha ha, they thought she was carrying my baby around for me. It was funny.
Okay... made it through that and to the next flight. Got the stroller broken down, the car seat bagged up and down the jet way. Onto the plane, in the air and then... before we reached altitude Weston pooped. What to do. Didn't want to allow it to completely smell up the plane so I managed to change him on my lap without spreading any unwanted bodily fluids to undesired surfaces/places. Got that double bagged in the awesome poop bags, only to sit him up and have him spit up down the front of me. Then as we reached altitude Sierra declared that she too needed to poop. So off we went to the teeny, tiny airplane bathroom. Sierra took care of business and then I went in to wipe with Weston strapped to me and Sierra declaring, "There's not enough room, I'm too squished!" Ah... mission accomplished and back to our seats we went. Then the rest of the flight seemed to go about like that... spilt goldfish crackers, tears over not being able to eat them off the airplane floors, spilt water, etc. It didn't take long on that flight for me to think to myself, "What was I thinking!!!??" At last we made it.
We did enjoy a wonderful visit and loved getting to meet and play with cousin Sean. We had a wonderful Christmas surrounded by family and in a new place (although it wasn't a white East Coast Christmas... that was surprising.) Auntie Aim and Uncle Steve had a park in their neighborhood that was frequented, as well as a Chic Fil A near by for the rainy days. I got to catch up with a good girlfriend and meet her kids, Sierra saved many worms from drowning meanwhile wearing nothing but pink! Such a Tom-Boy! We enjoyed a Christmas Eve Mass service with a children's nativity pageant and choir. And I will spare you all the details of the trip back as it was much the same... but with a little more help from the kind lady sitting next to us. She held Weston while I took Sierra to the bathroom that go around! Things could have been worse, but it was definitely eventful and not something I will take on again until the kids are a bit older or daddy is available to travel.
And now here are some pictures of our time in Maryland...
What Is It? Wednesday (resorcinol)
9 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment